Italy

Italy

Sunday, May 5, 2013

Shopping, Making Pasta, and Spanish Steps

Hello family and friends! Again, I know it has been a few days, but to be honest, it is getting to the point where I don't have much exciting to tell you, so I might just be writing about once a week!

This week was very stressful because I was getting observed two days. It went ok, but my observer has a lot to say and I have some things to work on before he comes again in about 4 weeks. On Wednesday, we did get the day off for May Day, so I had a nice picnic in the park close to where I am staying. So many people were there! May Day is like their labor day, so many people were off of work. When Friday finally came, we went for drinks after school in the park. Then, we met up with the same people that I had met a few weekends ago at the concert for drinks and aperitivo. It's pretty cool because you buy a drink, and then they have all of these snacks out like pizza, pasta, bread, veggies, etc and it is 10 euros. You can go back and get food as many times as you want also! We went to one other place, but Jude (a teacher at my school) and I headed back home around 10 (much earlier than my usual outing ;) )

On Saturday, I went shopping with Jo and Jude. We went to H&M, where I bought a tanktop. We walked around Piazza Popolo, and it was so hot out. I know you all are hating me because you have snow, but I was sweating! We popped in and out of shops and had lunch on a street down from the piazza where I had lasagna. It was delicious! We continued on and we went into Zara, which is very popular in Europe. It is originally a Spanish company, but has expanded to all of Europe. I bought items here, but they are presents so I can't tell! We then went by the Spanish steps. Just for this week to celebrate Rome's birthday, they were decorated in a bunch of flowers. Here are some pictures of myself and my cooperating teacher, Jo!



The steps weren't as long as I had thought, but I am glad I got to see them!

We went to a different shopping street, Ottaviano, where we stopped quick to look at an apartment that Jo was interested in, and then stopped for, what else? Gelato of course! I had banana and it was delicious and refreshing. Our last stop was at a shoe store, Danielle. It proved fatal for my wallet, but it was great for my shopping :) I got a pair of sandals that will be better to walk around in, and a pair of leather boots :) I love them, but now I cannot shop anymore in Rome haha

After a recovered from shopping, Noreen taught me how to make pasta! I wrote everything down, so the lucky few of you will get a lesson from me as well! Hopefully I will be able to replicate the ingredients in the U.S. Here are some pictures!



Our finished product! We made spinach and cheese ravioli! It was very delicious and I think I did well for my first pasta making experience.

Today, I plan on getting some work done, going to the grocery store and possibly watching a movie as it is raining this morning.

I do want to mention some sad news that I received yesterday. My roommate, Elly, went to the hospital on Friday with symptoms of extreme thirst and overtiredness. Once there, she was diagnosed with type one diabetes. She had to miss her senior art show that she had been working towards for many weeks. I am so proud of her and I know she will be able to overcome this. Keep her in your thoughts and prayers! She's the best friend any girl could ask for! Love and miss you, El Bel!

Ciao!

xoxo Katie





1 comment: