Italy

Italy

Friday, June 21, 2013

Things I will miss...and won't miss so much....

Hi everyone! I am writing today on my last day at school. So far, the kids have been so sweet! One little boy even started crying when he found out I was never coming back. It was so touching! They made me a card, and their moms and dads bought me a book that has sketches of landmarks in Rome and I had the kids sign it. We even had a little party where they brought in mostly junk food and we watched The Lorax as most of the kids hadn't seen it.

This afternoon we will go outside where the Nomentana fair will be happening, which is basically like a Carnival. My friend Nick is on his way here and I am so excited to see one of my best friends!!! After school, Noreen and I are having a party as she is going on sabbatical for a year and I am leaving. It still has yet to hit me that I will no longer live in Rome. We have some plans for Saturday, so it's not entirely over yet!

In honor of leaving quite soon, before going to Venice, Paris, and London, and finally home, I thought I would make a list of things I will miss and won't miss about Italy! We will go with the negative first...

5. The crazy Italian driving....You basically just walk out in front of cars and hope they stop. Also, the honking and ridiculous gestures. I will look forward to driving my own car again (if I remember how) and driving on simple roads.

4. This heat. The last 2 weeks have been disgustingly hot...I'm talking to ac in the classroom or at home and it has been about 93 degrees INSIDE the classroom. The kids are miserable, I'm miserable and we are all sweating. Gross!

3. Not knowing where I am going/what I am doing. I usually feel lost and I am horrible at directions, so going places is my downfall. Good thing I was going places by myself a lot of the time....Also, in the grocery store, I will not miss not knowing what things are. I would like to know if that is a bottle of conditioner or if it's lotion, thank you.

2. The toilets. Why do Italians think it's ok to not have a toilet seat. It's kind of a necessity if you ask me. The worst one is located in my favorite bar....I will miss the bar, but definitely not the disgustingness of the bathroom.

1. Errands taking hours. You need deodorant? Be prepared for this errand to take 5 hours. People are leisurely and one errand turns into wondering around Rome for countless hours.


Things I will miss:

5. Seeing beautiful buildings all around me wherever I go. I was constantly looking around me that I have tripped a few times!

4. Italian men saying "Ciao Bella." I mean come on, what girl wouldn't want to be greeted by men saying "Hi Beautiful" every morning.

3. The food! The spaghetti, pizza, and gelato were better than expected. I will not miss them making me fat, however.

2. My students! They were such a lively group of kiddos, but they taught me just as much as I taught them. They thought the word "Minnesota" was one of the funniest things ever, they spoke to me in Italian daily and laughed when I couldn't answer, and they were all in all just a fun bunch!

1. The teachers and friends I have met. Everyone was so welcoming and loving towards me, even though I was basically a stranger. Without all the encouragement and help I got, Rome would have been a much scarier place. All of them invited me into their lives without a doubt and I will always remember them for that! I want to reunite with them at some point in my life! We have already discussed pen pals with our classes!


This has been such an amazing experience and I wouldn't trade it for the world. I have learned so much about teaching and mostly about myself over the past 3 months. I am excited to be on vacation for 10 days before going back to "reality." I know this will not be goodbye for Rome, but a see you later!

Ciao Italia!

xoxoxo Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment