Italy

Italy

Thursday, June 6, 2013

Sicily

Hi friends and family! I feel like I am constantly apologizing about not writing....time just gets away from me! Last weekendI went to Palermo, Sicily. I am glad I went to see it...it was beautiful scenary, but not my favorite place so far!

On Friday after school I went with Noreen to the airport. She was headed off to Ireland to visit family, so it worked out that we both could travel together. I am sick of it taking forever and a day to get anywhere you want to go....I miss my car! :( I also wish that someone would invent time travel or teleportation. When I finally got the airport, after walking, metro, and train, I grabbed a snack and waited at my gate. An announcement came on in Italian and I was waiting for them to say it in English...yep,  never happened. I turned to the people around me "Parla inglese?" No. Finally found a woman to tell me what was going on. "The flight has been delayed 23 hours." My reaction, "23 HOURS?!" Yep, I am not going to Sicily. After talking more, I found out she definitely meant 23 MINUTES. haha When I arrived in Palermo, my wonderful friends Rebecca and Marissa were there waiting for me! We made it to our hotel and crashed.

The next morning, we ate a delicious breakfast and checked out the top floor outdoor pool. It was a great view!


We set out for the town and of course went shopping! My best deal was getting two pairs of shoes for only 15 euros. I had to explain to my dad that I had to get two because one pair was 10 euros, and for two it was 15! I know he still probably didn't understand! We went to a market, which is where you can get knock off items and other local things. I got some gifts for people! We ate pizza for luch and for dessert what else but cannolis! It was huge and delicous. We headed back to our hotel to get ready before dinner.

For dinner, we went to a restaurant that was recommended by our hotel. It was good,but not great. I had ravioli. And of course wine. We then ventured to a bar that we researched on the internet. Of course, we couldn't find it. We are not the best at directions, and I am the worst helper! Marissa can at least read a map! We walked in the streets of Palermo and got stared at by EVERYONE. Not even an exaggeration. We stuck out like sore thumbs. Every single groups eyes were one us, and many commented, hooted, hollared, or whistled. It was super awkward! I don't know what I would have done if I was alone! We were soon talked to by a group of guys and taken to a different bar. What has been so fun about Italy is meeting so many people that are different than me and hearing their own stories! Their lives are far more exciting than mine I feel!

On Sundy, after again a delicious breakfast, we went and layed by our fabulous pool. Unfortunately, I had an early flight, so I had to leave the outdoors to fly back. I made the treck home and crashed.

This week has been super busy! On Tuesday night, Noreen, Bardan, and I went out for a pizza to get through the week. Today and tomorrow I am getting observed for a second time. It is much more intense than at home. My observer stays for two days and watches me throughout the entire morning. I am used to getting observed for one lesson and then they leave. It has been a lot of pressure. He said I have improved a ton, which was reassuring, and I think it went well. Now, I just have to get through tomorrow's two lesson and I only have one full real week left after Malta this weekend! Beach, I am coming for you!

p.s. more pictures

My childhood friends visiting from the previous week! My cheesecake turned out even in Italy. :)





Ciao and miss you all!

xoxo Katie

1 comment: