Italy

Italy

Friday, April 12, 2013

Colosseo

Hello everyone! Thanks for reading my blog! I am happy that so many people in the U.S. care about me :) I care about you too-hence, keeping you updated on my travels. So, today I woke up around 8:15. I was up in the middle of the night from jet lag, so I didn't sleep so well. But, nevertheless, I got up and showered. So the showers....I could barely fit in it. Also, the water was spraying everywhere. On the plus side, the shower head was actually tall enough. After this fiasco, I went to breakfast. I had frosted flakes, with whole milk, and a crossoint. The crossoint was delicious!

After breakfast, I went back to my Rome to try to decide the easiest way to get to the Colosseum. I looked up a bus route, but first I needed a bus ticket. I found a bar online that said they had tickets, so I made my way that way. I found it easily, but one guy said something to me in Italian that I think meant that he was hittin on me, and I got honked at by at least 3 cars. I am not used to this type of attention! So with bus ticket in hand, I made my way to the bus station. On my way, I found a different bus station, so I waited at that one. There was a line, line 2, that took me to the Colosseum. However, after waiting for about 20 minutes, it still didn't come. I figured that it only came about once an hour,so I decided to keep going and find the original bus stop. On my way there, I found a metro station. I remember reading in my guide book that the Colosseum was on route B, so I went down under ground! I found the right direction and I was suddenly at the Colosseum.

It was super busy. I was expecting to see and hear a lot of Americans/English around the Colosseum, but I was surprised by all the different languages I heard; all visiting one of Europe's famous landmarks. After standing in line for about 25 minutes, I secured myself a ticket and a tour in English. I met one family from Chicago- the parents were visiting their daughter who had been here abroad since January.

The colosseum was really cool and old. Almost all of Rome feels as though I am walking in a dream or have been in time travel back many years. The tour took about an hour, and afterwards I needed to get some lunch!

For convience, and since I had no idea where the hell I was going, I sat down at a cafe right across from the Colosseum. The prices were high, (I paid 5.50 E for a diet coke!) but the food was still good. I had a tomato and mozzarella panini/sandwhich. In Rome, they don't rush you and do not bring your bill unless you ask for it. I sat at my table people watching for another 30 minutes after I had finished eating. I gathered my thoughts and did some deep breathing before I headed back underground to the metro.

I figured during this part, I would get lost. Yep, I was right. I got off at the metro stop that I had gotten on, but I somehow kept walking and found myself at a differen metro stop. I knew this one was close to my hotel, though. After walking in circles, I found the right road that I had walked on yesterday! Horray! I am now back at my hotel :)

Tonight, I am planning on eating at the restaurant attached to my hotel. Noreen (my host mom) is all set to come get me tomorrow morning! I cannot wait to actually know someone and have a guide in this city. Plus, I look forward to getting settled in my own room.

Ciao for now!

xoxo Katie

1 comment:

  1. Hello, glad you are so adventurous! Getting lost is all part of it and hopefully next time it will beeasier. Did the Colloseum look anything like the new Vikings stadium? ( feel free to share that comment with Zach). Hopefully things will go smooth this weekend. Thinking of you often, Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete