Italy

Italy

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Getting settled...

Yesterday I finally got out of my hotel! Noreen, my host mom, picked me up and gave me a hug right away! I knew at that moment that things were going to get better and I was going to get more comfortable! She took me to her apartment (or flat as she calls it) and to my surprise, it was down the street and right around the corner! I can see the hotel out of my window. She showed me around, and I am happier because I have more space now! The queen bed is working out better than the twin I had in the hotel. We chatted and I had time to unpack and settle in.

After I unpacked, we went to the market. It was not far from her apartment, so we walked. The main way of getting around here is to walk! Otherwise, we take the metro. The market is sort of like a farmer's market, only they have a meat counter and a cheese counter as well. They had some fruits and vegetables that I had never seen before/didn't know what they were! It was fun seeing more of the local way of life. We picked up lettuce and other sorts of leafy things which I cannot remember the names of, fresh mozzorella and tomatoes, meat for hamburgers, and some apples and pears. Oh, we also got gorganzola cheese to go with the pears! All in all it was great! At the market, most things are inexpensive and they are always fresh. After the market, we headed back home, but we needed to stop for coffee first. Stopping for coffee is not getting it in a large plastic cup and drinking it while you go somewhere, but rather, you stand at a bar and drink it rather quickly. If you sit down, the shop will usually charge you more money!

When we got home, we had our fabulous lunch of the mozzorella and tomatoes, as well as the salad. In Rome, they do not have dressings like in the U.S., but they use just light oil. We ate lunch outside on Noreen's terrace, and it was so beatiful! It was sunny and around 75 degrees. Sorry that it is snowing where you all are! ;) I skyped with Zach and did some little things and then we made a plan for the night.

We went to the supermarket, which is not the same as the market; it is more like a Walmart or grocery store. We grabbed a few odds and ends. They had some of the things we have in the U.S., like I got Special K cereal for my breakfasts, but a lot of things were unfamiliar. Noreen and I both like yogurt, so we got some of that, but I will see if it tastes like our yogurt! The thing that Noreen says is hard to find in Rome that she misses is peanut butter. So far, I haven't missed it because of the fabulous other food I have had!

We returned from the supermarket and made pasta. We had it with homemad pesto sauce that we had gotten at the market. It was delicious! Although, they cook their noodles in less time than we do, so they noodles were tougher. Here is what it looked like
Num!

We had plans to meet up with Jo, my cooperating teacher, and some other teachers from the school, but we couldn't connect. We were supposed to meet at the metro stop, but we were late. And then, Noreen's phone wasn't working so we couldn't get ahold of them to find out where to go! What ended up happening though was just as fun! Noreen showed me around!

We went to go get gelato! My first gelato experience, and it was amazing! You get two flavors, so I got banana and hazelnut. The place we went was in Noreen's old neighborhood, so it was local and she said was one of the best! The server there made fun of how I said "banana" and asked me where I was from. I said "Minnesota!" in which he replied, "Go Vikings!" Not exactly what I want to be known as! haha

We ate our fabulous gelato as we walked and we went to St. Peter's Basillica at night. It was very calm and peaceful, even thought there were many peopl out and about. Here are some of the pictures I took.










After St. Peter's, we went to all these other neighborhoods! There were so many people out and it was like 10:30. It was like it was the middle of the day! I mean, not just young people drinking, but older people and even young children. Also, everyone either had a drink in their hand, or gelato. Or they were holding hands with their significant other! haha Noreen was so helpful and we got to spend time getting to know each other and talking. On the way back, we had to stop at a local wine bar. I asked the wine guy to give me something sweet! It was very good. We finally took the bus back and got home around 1 AM. Since I haven't been sleeping well, I was very tired! It was the trick though, because last night I finally slept all through the night! yay :) I got up around 10:30 and am writing you this now! At some point today I am going to meet up with Jo!

I start my first day at school tomorrow. I have a 45 minute window to do some getting to know you activities. I already have some ideas. Hope everyone has a great day!

Ciao for now!

xoxo Katie

1 comment:

  1. Everyone is so PDA in Europe, aren't they! It's cute...but I bet it makes you miss Zach even more!

    ReplyDelete