Italy

Italy

Thursday, April 18, 2013

The past few days!

Hello everyone :) I have been busy my first week! I have been going to school and observing all classrooms...it'sgood, but I am now ready to be with my students and start getting to know them better!

On Wednesday after school, Jo and I went to TIM, which is a phone company in Italy. My problem was that I couldn't get in touch with the teachers from my schoo except through email. The solution was to buy an Italian SIM card which I did thanks to Jo! She also gave me a new phone to use since the SIM card didn't fit in my phone. After we did that, we went and had drinks. In Italy, they eat around 8:30/9 pm, but they often go have drinks and/or tea. When you have a drink between around 6-8, they add 2 euros onto it, and you get little snackies. I grabbed  a sandwhich that looked good, but then realized it had tuna in it. I think it is a good idea though, because I do get hungry!

Today, I went to the main school site calle La Storta. Here they have an elementary school, as well as a "senior school", so they have 3 year olds up to high school. It was much, much bigger than Nomentana, and it was in the country, so they had a lot of room. I went with Year 4 kids- 3rd grade- for a field trip. It was really cute because the students didn't know about it, and it was set up like a WWII evacuation. The kids are learning about WWII at the moment. When they got to school, their classroom was marked "dangeous" and they had to be evacuated. They got on the bus, and didn't know where they were being taken! I was going to just ride on the bus with them, but they did not put the order in on time, so they got 2 vans, but Claire the year 4 teacher and I didn't fit! I was able to catch the metro and train to get there, and I didn't get lost which I am proud of :) The day was really fun doing WWII activities, but we were in a sports dome, and it was so stuffy and hot in there! I was sweating...also I felt as though I was starting all over again meeting everyone and feeling helpless! haha Overall though, I am glad I went so I could see the other school.

After school, Noreen and I went out for my first pizza. I am sorry to say that I was a bit dissappointed! The crust here is very thin, and there is not a lot of cheese.....so much different than the American pizza I know and love!

This weekend Jo, Noreen, Claire, her boyfriend Marco, others, and I are planning on going to the beach. There are many beaches, and it usually takes about one hour to get to one. I am also excited for the weekend after that because I will be spending it with two American girls. They are both from Boston and are teaching in Bologna. I got in touch with them through EAST, the program I am doing. Hopefully it will be a good time!

That's about all for now! Miss you all- or mi manchi in Italian....I have been trying to learn little phrases!

Ciao!

xoxo Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment